Skip to main content

Students Say It Best!

On February 7 and 8, RCC celebrated the outstanding accomplishments of hundreds of local middle school and high school students of color in the categories of academic success, community service, artistic expression, athletic ability, leadership, or personal triumph and success. Joined by their proud family members, the young award recipients filled the theater for two consecutive nights of celebration. They were privileged to hear from several outstanding guest speakers, including Jordan Zuber-Banks, whose speech I am sharing with you here. After all, students say it best!

Good evening ladies and gentlemen and good evening to the leaders right in front of me. It is an honor to speak with you tonight. Before I begin, let me say, congratulations on your achievements, and distinguishing yourself from your peers. You may have noticed I said, “The leaders in front of me,” not future leaders or any variation of the phrase. For as young adults you are not just the future, we are the present. Implicit in the saying is the realization that your role in the world has
already begun. Therefore what you have achieved so far is exceptional and as you continue with your academic success, many opportunities will open up for you, which is quite an exciting prospect.


By extension, you will have many decisions to make. As a student in the Sam Draper Mentor / Talented Students Honors Program, I have been asked to speak with you tonight about my academic career; where I’ve been, how I got to be where I am now, and my aspirations for the future. So, to begin, during my junior year in high school, I did what many of you are doing now and what some of you will be doing soon; preparing for college. My parents and teachers taught me as a child that the only certain means of success is to go above and beyond, to render more and better service than is expected, no matter what the task might be. You all know that to do only what is expected of you is the surest way to condemn yourself to mediocrity. I don’t think any of you will be mediocre. Besides focusing on your GPA, a lot of you, like I was, are heavily involved in student life. I was a member of 15 clubs, holding leadership positions in five, and serving as president of two. Some of you have achieved similar feats in your careers so far and some of you will soon. I played varsity and JV sports, and set a record for my school’s mock trial team. Some of you have conquered demons like that and some of you will soon. Outside of school, I served my community through civic organizations, internships, and other activities. Some of you have built reputations like that already and some of you will soon. It wasn’t until I neared the end of my junior year that the idea of college came full force into my life. You will know exactly what I mean when I say that the expectations of both my family and peers were high for me, yet not nearly as high as my own. It has always been my dream to attend Harvard University. You have dreams like that, too. It might not be Harvard for you but it’s some personal or professional “Harvard” that’s your utmost goal for personal achievement. I aspire to become a lawyer. You all have your own, similar, but personal aspirations and you all will face challenges, just as I will. I found that in 2010 nearly 23,000 students applied to Harvard. Only 2,300 got in. Therefore, in order to overcome this statistic, I had to create a plan to distinguish myself further than I already had done. You will all have to do the same in order to succeed, and all of you have already begun that process of creating your own plans. You see, dreams and goals merely excite… you need plans to in-cite. So as I continued looking into my goals and my challenges, my Mom told me about an honors program at SUNY Rockland. She said I would get to in essence skip my senior year and begin earning college credits by taking college honors classes, close to home. Through this program, my family would save tens of thousands of dollars by sending me to this program for my freshman year (which would have been my senior year either way), and sophomore year in college. Did I make the right decision? Did you? Because my mom was right.

The M/TS Honors program here has transcended even my highest expectations. Instead of drowning in a sea of sameness, I feel as if I am on a mountain overlooking my future. As you know, the teachers here are amazing. They teach in ways both interesting and stimulating. They foster a positive and creative learning environment. And, the opportunities here are endless. Like many of you, I’m still young. I’m only 17 years old, and my first semester here I have already traveled to London for study abroad, I got to immerse myself in the culture, sights, food, and history while studying British literature. I interned with a national magazine, First Inkling, which is run by honors students and faculty here at the school. There are no community college programs anywhere in the world that let you do that. I debated teams across New York representing Rockland Community College. You, too, have had experiences like this and if you haven’t, I urge you to start taking more advantage of the opportunities that abound here. But perhaps most importantly, I urge you to take full advantage of your mentor. Each student in the honors program is assigned a mentor. But I have found many mentors among the faculty. Every professor here is more than willing to lend an ear and help with any problem, no matter how simple or complex. Through them I have found that I am never alone in my endeavors, nor am I alone in my triumphs. Joining the M/TS Honors Program here at SUNY Rockland has been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I think it will be for you, too. I ask and expect that as you continue on your journey of academic success you strongly consider this program. Thank you for your time, and congratulations again.

At the Black Achievement Awards, pictured (from left to right) are:
Dr. Cliff L. Wood, President, RCC; and keynote speakers:
Deena R. Wilson, Senior Vice President, First Investors Corporation;
and Jordan Zuber-Banks, RCC M/TS Honors Student.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Celebration of Scholarship

While I have always believed that community colleges are primarily teaching institutions and teaching is at the center of all we do, I also believe after almost fifty years in community college education that our best teachers are also actively involved in some kind of scholarship/professional activities. This engagement can be traditional research, creativity in the visual, performing or textual arts or active involvement in social, community or business activities. It is because of this belief that one of the first projects I initiated when I came to RCC was the establishment of The Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) . I will forever be grateful to the extraordinary Libby Bay, former English Professor and Humanities Division Chair, who chaired the committee that developed the guidelines for CETL. The amazing work Professor Bay began continues today under the leadership of CETL Co-Directors, Professor Lynn Aaron and Dr. Elaine Padilla. These committed f

A Special Holiday Gift from the Riversville Foundation

On Tuesday, December 6, RCC and BOCES administrators gathered for a luncheon with this year's student recipients of the Riversville Foundation scholarship awards. The Riversville Foundation was founded in 2006 by Barton Biggs, a former partner at Morgan Stanley and founder of Traxis Partners, a hedge-fund based in Greenwich, CT.  Biggs, who died in 2012, believed in the power of education, and particularly the importance of a college degree. While Riversville has primarily worked with four-year institutions, beginning in 2014, the Riversville Foundation began a collaboration with Rockland Community College. This year, full one-year scholarships were awarded to 21 RCC students, a commitment of more than $95,000. Under the direction of the Riversville Foundation's Executive Director, Bruno Casolari, a former Director of Resource Development at RCC , the Foundation has awarded more than $135,000 in need-based scholarships to more than 25 Rockland Community College s

Honoring Distinguished Faculty

Retired Science Professors Phyllis Krasnow and George Krasilovsky with Dr. Cliff L. Wood at the Beta, Beta, Beta Induction Ceremonies Professors of Science Phyllis Krasnow and George Krasilovsky , PhD, were honored at the recent Beta Beta Beta induction for decades of dedicated service to the RCC Biology community. Both professors served as mentors to science students in the Sam Draper M/TS Honors Program . Professor Krasnow began teaching at RCC in 1969, and served as a mentor in the Honors Program from 1980-2000. She was known for her student-centered approach. Beyond her work in the classroom and with advisement, she founded the Biology Club, and created a Biology Scholarship offered through the RCC Foundation . She was instrumental in helping many students transfer to Cornell. Even after she retired and move to south New Jersey in 1998, she drove more than two hours each way to continue to teach and mentor part-time. She received the Chancellor’s Award for Exc